2016 eSports Review: Pro Sports Investment
TNL Take: Let's have a quick review of what's happened this month so far:
- Jan 3: FC Copenhagen Signs Counter-Strike Team
- Jan 6: Finnish team SJK Seinäjoki Signs FIFA Athlete
- Jan 9: Milwaukee Bucks Owner Confirms eSports Team FlyQuest
- Jan 9: Miami Heat Acquire Stake In eSports Team Misfits
- Jan 10: Lionsgate Invests In eSports Team Immortals
If eSports was hyped on caffeine in 2016; seems as if it's moved to crystal meth in 2017.
2015 saw 4 Pro Teams investing in eSports. 2016 had over 20.
So what will 2017 bring?
/01 An NFL team will make a move before next season starts
/02 Europe will continue to dominate overall investment
/03 Another country will announce a similar e-league like France's
/04 A publisher will work with a league to form a more formal structure
/05 eSports teams will start wearing Pro Team merchandise